Monday, June 13, 2011

Dog Training Philosophy


One of my Carmel puppy class participants recently emailed me a question. I thought it would be a good idea to post a few thoughts about my philosophy of dog training so that other clients can benefit as well.

The Question:
Your approach to dog training is there is no punishment for poor behavior. Only treats for good behavior. Do you agree?

My Answer:

Not exactly. I am what I like to think of as a "balanced trainer" in that my philosophy is to use what works for both dog and owner.

Most of the time, punishment used by owners cause fear or anxiety to the dog because of poor timing (not close enough in time for the dog to associate to the unwanted behavior) or an inappropriate technique (the punishment did not fit the crime). So, I teach mostly positive association because most puppies thrive on learning that good things happen for good choices. I use food, praise, life rewards (access to attention or desired people/places) as reward. Food is essential early on to earn puppy's attention, but we can phase that out and use the other rewards primarily, as I do with my own dogs.

If punishment is needed or desired by the client, well, then, I do my best as a professional to help the owner understand timing and methods that will work for their dog. I also spend time discussing whether simple management protocols (such as using a crate for potty training) or environmental corrections (such as allowing the puppy access to a table leg sprayed with Bitter End) will work first. If punishment must occur, I would prefer it is NOT associated with the owner, but rather with the unwanted behavior itself. In other words, puppy thinks: "Gee, every time I lick the plates in the dishwasher, a bunch of pop cans fly off the counter - even when my owner is no where to be seen!"

I called my business "Sensible" because of my belief that dogs and owners need the method and tools best suited to them, rather than some ideological stronghold any particular trainer has. However, I do my best to educate the owners that the methods they see on TV or used by this or that other trainer may not bring about the desired effect or relationship.

At the end of the day, my personal goal is that dogs and owners truly enjoy each other. I strive to bring balance, leadership, pleasure and trust to their relationship. The methods I choose will only be used if they will enhance these goals.

No comments: