Friday, December 30, 2011

Puppy home – 1st 24 hours



Yesterday we brought home an 8-week old Australian Shepherd puppy. I am a firm believer that your puppy is ALWAYS learning, so make the best use of the time from the beginning. Here’s what our puppy has begun to learn in her first day home:

1. I can “potty” outside, in the woods, like the big dogs.
2. People yelp when I bite them; I guess they’re wimps and I must be careful with my teeth.
3. My crate is an alone place, but I will be okay.
4. I like the chewies I get in my crate.
5. I like getting fed by hand – those hands are sure neat when they come filled with food!
6. There are a lot of nice boys here… I met several boys of different smells and colors.
7. I can Sit.
8. I can Down.
9. I can Release (chase a treat).
10. I can Fetch.
11. I like to play with the big dogs and the Vizsla is particularly fun.
12. My new mom will protect me if I get scared by barking dogs in the backyard, or anything else.
13. I like running to my new mom. She scritches my rear so nice!
14. My mom’s slippers are off-limits, but there are tons of fun toys nearby.
15. Naptimes are necessary.

New puppies are a great joy – and a lot of work. Keep focused on the behaviors you want your adult dog to do… and don’t allow puppy “cuteness” to rule the day. Your puppy will be an adolescent in just a couple of months! How nice will it be to have great routines and boundaries in place when dealing with the ups and downs that come with becoming an adult dog! Finally – take LOTS of pictures!

No comments: