Saturday, July 7, 2012

Help Me!


Roughly 18 years ago, I was trying to help a friend train her dog. Shaka was a Rhodesian Ridgeback who wouldn't come when called. I grew up watching heavy-handed police and working dog trainers and had recently apprenticed with a no-food, no-nonsense, correction-based trainer. I was physically strong and believed the best way to teach a dog do something was to just to make him do it. So there I was in a small, fenced-in area with the dog, his owner and a leash. I did a few on-leash recalls and said, "Yeah, the dog knows it". I unclipped the leash and set him free. He was a rambunctious adolescent and quickly busied himself sniffing and exploring. "Come." No response. I did what I had been trained to do: I walked him down.

The walk-down is an intimidation technique followed by harsh punishment. Basically, you make the dog more scared of NOT coming than of coming and he figures out he'd better come when you call, no matter what. It can be very fast, but it's ugly (and not anything I would do now; you'll soon see why).

At first Shaka tried to escape by outrunning me and when I persisted to stalk him, direct eye contact and confrontational body language, he clung to his owner. "Help me." I instructed her to ignore him and she did. Shaka fled what should have been safety and kept running from me until I cornered him. I attached the leash to his choke chain and "COME!" yanked; "COME!" yanked and "COME" yanked. Unclipped his leash. Repeated as necessary until Shaka gave up and stopped, tail down, beaten in spirit, unwilling to fight. At that point, the technique changed and I called softly, "Come". Shaka had no where else to run, no one to provide safety and he took a hesitant step in my direction.

Leaving my methodology for a minute, let's consider: What did I teach that dog? (My stomach knots up at this video in my brain... knowing what I know about canine body language and how Shaka was begging for help from his mom who stood stoically by, allowing me to hurt him.) What did I teach my friend about her relationship with her dog? That she's no shelter? That she can't stop this human whacko from hurting her beloved buddy? That any professional has the right to abuse your dog because certainly they know better?

Today a client told me that her dog hates vets. Here's why: The dog tore his ACL and was certainly in a lot of pain. Several well-meaning friends told her she had to take the dog to a certain veterinarian who is an expert in that particular breed and is the only one who should do surgery on a dog of that breed because he's the expert. My client brought her dog there. Upon entering the exam room and without speaking to the dog's owner, the veterinarian literally tackled the dog to the floor, pinning him. The dog struggled. "He looked up at me with pleading eyes, asking for my help," my sad client admitted. The vet overpowered the dog. He did the surgery. But they don't go there anymore. Not surprisingly, this dog has tried to bite the new veterinarian when an exam is performed. Not the technicians. Not anyone else in the clinic. Not anyone outside of a veterinary hospital. Just the vets. The dog had asked for help from the only person who could have given it but she had abdicated her authority over her pet. Her mistake was trusting the expert. Just like my friend, all those years ago.

To his great credit and as a stellar testimony to his outstanding temperament, gorgeous Shaka did not bite me. Neither did other dogs I treated in a similar fashion. Of course not because if they fought back, they lost and never forgot that lesson. I wonder how many of them, though, learned to hate "trainers?" I'll never know but the very thought makes me cry.

You. Are your dog's advocate. YOU are his protector. Don't allow anyone to mishandle your dog. Period. Not if he is a a friend. Not if she is a trainer. Not if he is an expert. Not when your dog is clearly asking for help. You have the right and even the responsibility to say, "Hey! STOP. NOW!" Take your dog and leave. It's not rude. It's right.

Shaka forgave my idiocy. So did my friend, thankfully. I don't train that way any more. I have learned to listen to the dogs better. I have learned that their motivations can be harnessed to change their behavior.

Training is a lot more fun these days and I am glad to be in a position to pass along this story in hopes that you will make good choices about whom you hand your leash to and that you remember your dog is YOUR property and as such you have the power to tell people how they should treat him. (By the way, that's a right you'll give up if you are only a "guardian" so don't settle for less than the ability to protect your dog completely!)

Be there for him if he ever looks at you and says, "Help me!" Better yet, ask more questions before you hand over the leash or give someone access to your furry friend who trusts you.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I can't wait to send my dog-hating dog to Aunt Catherine's for rehab! It has to be in the same time zone, though.

Seriously, though, a great post. I constantly fight the "training" I was trained in. You're doing better than I.